Now is a great time to make sure you are maximizing the professional networking potential of your LinkedIn profile.
Research shows that LinkedIn is especially helpful when it comes to landing higher-paying jobs. A well-developed profile will help you whether you are actively looking for a new job, making the most of the one you have, or just looking to learn about professional possibilities
Checklist for Sprucing Up Your Profile
- Make connections. Always look to grow your LinkedIn connections. But, don’t use the standard connection request. Send a personal note that will help the other user recall how he or she knows you.
- Use a professional, current profile picture. Your profile picture should represent your professional face.
- Present a good summary. The summary is a way of selling yourself. Express your interests, voice, and personality. Use the keywords that are most applicable to your skills and interests.
- Include all jobs. List your entire work history on LinkedIn so your profile is as robust as possible. There is no need to worry about the length of your profile, so make it as complete as possible. You never know what tidbit will intrigue a potential employer.
- Post activity updates regularly. LinkedIn is the right place to update your network about your professional accomplishments and progress. Every few days, put something in your status to keep it fresh and show you’re active and engaged.
- Participate. Join groups and comment on posts. Share relevant information. Set aside time each week to engage with others on LinkedIn.